Friday, July 2, 2010

Bumper Sticker Patriotism

As I checked my email this morning, I discovered that I was the fortunate recipient of a chain letter that included a smattering of pictures of soldiers, helicopters and tanks. It droned on about the troops out there serving us and how lucky we are to live in a country like this. At the end of the message there was a nice line informing me that if I was truly a patriot that I would forward it on to at least 1o people and that if I didn't do so I dishonored the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform. Upon surveying the subject line, I noticed that at least 4 great patriots had shown their love for this country as I could see as many "FW:'s" there.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't intend to mock the individual who is touched by a message and forwards it on to a friend. Nor do I want to say that using a blog or email to make a patriotic or political statement is stupid (if that were true, I'd be the stupidest of us all). What I am trying to point out is that emails and bumper stickers should not be the sum of our efforts. Or, rather, I am trying to contrast that to what I view as real, honorable patriotism.

When you go to your town's independence day parade, look for that beat up pickup truck carrying the 70 and 80 something year old guys in white shirts and dark blue hats. There you'll find a handful of patriots.

If you find yourself at a city council meeting, look at those council members who work through mountains of red tape and monotony to serve their fellow citizens. Look at the concerned citizens sitting on the broken metal chairs who come time and time again to ensure that their community is served properly. You'll likely find some patriots there.

This November as you wait in a surprisingly short line to show your support for one or another candidate, look at the gaggle of people in the room with you. There are some patriots among them.

Next time you see a handful of kids from a church group strolling the shoulder of the highway, picking up the trash you threw out your car window, realize you're looking at a handful of patriots.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that involvement, service, and action are the real signs of patriotism. Bumper stickers that read "Obama-nation" or a t-shirts that say "Hope and Change" do nothing to serve the best interest of you or your fellow men. But when you study candidates and place your vote, or when you voice your opinion at a council meeting, or when you volunteer to serve your community, then you have made the brave leap from peanut gallery to patriot.

Patriotism is not shouting, "Yes we can!" It's quietly standing up and saying, "Yes I will."

1 comment:

Michael Spencer said...

Same goes to the "support our troops " stickers and magnets on peoples vehicles. Just because people have them doesn't mean they are really doing anything to support troops.